Celebrating People, Places & the Good Life in SW Washington State
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Shops to Love: Momma Made It – Fabrics with a 19th Century Flair for 21st Century Quilters

What would a pioneer woman think if she traveled through time to Momma Made It of Longview? She would, of course, be shocked at the autos, the asphalt, the development, but not the bolts of cloth.

Women on the Oregon Trail brought quilts that reminded them of loved ones left behind. Momma Made It is filled with 100% cotton fabrics with earthy warm colors and prints that would have looked at home in covered wagons and one-room cabins.

Momma Made It in Longview

Momma Made It in Longview

Owner Sharon Pennel started quilting while expecting the arrival of her daughter. Forty-two years later, she still loves the craft, opening Momma Made It in 1996 in a downtown Longview house. She recently moved the store to a larger space where she, and her staff of three, can host classes and quilting clubs.

The shop is neatly stocked with 2500 bolts of ever-changing fabric, featuring reproductions of traditional, homespun fabric of the 1800s plus quilting books, patterns and kits, some of which are Sharon’s own design and distributed nationally. Her own patterns are “inspired by antique quilts were have seen or imagined,” she reports. Her top quality fabric collection attracts quilters from around the region and advice is always available. “We have no aversions to giving a lesson on the spur of the moment,” Sharon says. “We’re in it for the fun.”

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

Open every day but Sunday, Momma Made It is located at 2121 8th Avenue in downtown Longview, 360.636.5631, www.mommamadeit.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

10 comments

1 Sue Anderson { 01.28.10 at 4:24 pm }

I sure do love this shop. She’s got beautiful fabrics and makes up wonderful combinations for kits. If you haven’t stopped by Momma Made it, you’re missing a gem of a quilt shop. Thanks for featuring it in your blog, Katlin!

2 Katlin Smith { 01.28.10 at 4:33 pm }

This store could even turn a non-seamstress like me into a quilter. Well, maybe into someone who BUYS and stores fabric anyway!

3 Sharyn { 07.03.10 at 11:37 am }

none of the links to Sharon’s shop are working.

great blog. There is a new shop that just opened in Kalama this week by the way.

4 Katlin Smith { 07.06.10 at 9:29 am }

Thanks, Sharyn, for alerting me! I will get this fixed if possible today. Links have a way of coming and going! Darn, I was in Kalama last week. I’ll check out the shop next time.

5 Charlotte Hales { 08.09.10 at 11:32 am }

I love Momma Made It! I have been shopping there for years! I have to go to the shop several times a week to get my Momma Made It fix. Great people work and hang out there.
Charlotte

6 dolores landgraf { 06.23.11 at 12:16 pm }

When in AZ I bought a kit and I am anxious to start it. POPPA’S PINK PJ’S… iT LOOKS SWELL.

7 Katlin Smith { 01.10.12 at 10:28 am }

Sorry, you need to contact the Longview quilt shop directly.

8 Bonnie Frederick { 11.13.12 at 9:40 pm }

Do you carry the Parrot Jungle line of fabric made by Blank Quilitng?
Thankyou.

9 Katlin Smith { 11.23.12 at 7:47 am }

Sorry, you will need to contact the store directly.

10 Beth T. { 06.01.13 at 7:03 pm }

Momma Made It is a real treasure in our area. It is wonderful to have a shop that carries so much fine quality fabric, along with Sharon’s experienced advice and her enthusiasm for the craft. Walking into Momma Made It is always inspiring, with the beautiful displays and variety of books and patterns.